Land of Milk and Honey
Cooking with Honey by Laurie Dotson
You can tell fall is in the air. The cool smell of fall in the mornings, the leaves are starting to fall, and the neighbors burning their garden waste…ahhh! I wasn’t happy about this a month ago, when school started back up and I had to go back. I just wanted to enjoy every last minute of summer. But today, Pete and I went to the Cyclopes Festival in Yellow Springs, Ohio. We just needed to take a day trip away from everything. A fun place to be with a market of DIY items for sale. To tell the truth, I felt quite comfortable, like I was home…a bunch of modern day hippies living life, simply. We went to get some ideas for our booth and our next event, but came away with a full tummy and excitement for whatever. I still want to enjoy what I have left of this tween season. At the Festival there was a vendor who made Lebanese food and that got me a thinkin’. I pulled chicken out to thaw this morning and I’ve been harvesting onions, cucumbers, garlic, tomatoes and herbs. So, how can I use these and make a delicious meal . Lightbulb going off - festival, garden, summerish food …Try this out, So yummy!
Cumin Chicken Skewers
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 oranges, rind finely grated, segmented
- 2.5 lbs chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 2 x 14 oz cans brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh continental parsley leaves
- 1 bunch fresh chives, cut into 1cm lengths
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
Honey Lemon Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons – honey
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons – fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups – plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons – sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – black pepper, fresh ground
Step 1 Honey Lemon Sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine the honey, lemon juice, yogurt, salt and pepper. Stir gently, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Step 2 Combine the cumin, garlic, oil and orange rind in a glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Thread 4 pieces of chicken onto each skewer.
Step 3 Preheat grill on medium-high. Line a baking tray with foil. Place the skewers on prepared tray. Cook under grill for 3-4 minutes each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
Step 4 Combine the orange segments, lentils, parsley, chives, onion and cucumber in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among serving plates and top with skewers. add a dollop of Honey Lemon Sauce
Happy Eating !